Thursday, October 9, 2014

Duck and Cupcakes: Part One of a Fun Weekend

This past weekend was a lot of fun. My roomate's younger sister arrived on Thursday to visit her for the week. While they went to the Newseum on Saturday, I attended a conference about women's education and empowerment. It was amazing to here from such influential speakers from the D.C. area about what we can do to help women here in the U.S. and around the world.

Later that night I met with my roommate, her sister and a friend for dinner at Chinatown Express, which is a block or two away from the metro station. It looks like a hole in the wall, but had more tables than I thought it would. There was a cute little window where you could see the noodle chef making their famous noodles and some of their Peking Ducks. (Warning for a close up photo of cooked duck heads)





Once inside the crowded and hectic space, I had some tea and then ordered a bounty of food. On the table was steamed pork buns, sweet and sour chicken, hot and sour soup, wonton soup, fresh noodle soup with roast duck, Peking Duck and steamed rice with roast duck. Everything was delicious and the duck was succulent (I cannot for the life of me think of a better word). 








Afterwards we donned our coats and scarves and headed out into the chilly autumn night to find dessert. We ended up strolling to Red Velvet Cupcakery that I talked about in this post. My roommate got the Red Velvet cupcake, her sister got the B-Day cupcake and I got their special cupcake of the day. Corn and Honey. I know, but hear me out. While a bit unusual, it was amazing. It reminded me of Thanksgiving when I'm eating cornbread with honey surrounded by my family. While I don't have any pictures, I highly recommend you trying it. 



The next post will be about the next day's adventure to the American Girl Place in Virginia. And yes, we are nine years old. 

Thanks for reading and I'll see you tomorrow!
Love,
Kara 



No comments:

Post a Comment