Thursday, April 9, 2015

Northern Ireland Day Seven: Our Tourist Day!!

Wow! This is my last Northern Ireland post! And only three and a half weeks after I went . . . Sorry about that.

Our last day in Northern Ireland was a lot of fun. We went to Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge, Giant's Causeway and saw where some of Game of Thrones is filmed (and who is excited for Sunday's premier?).

On our drive up the scenic Causeway Costal Route, we passed by the Carrickfergus castle. At the castle there was a life size statue of King William III, who was actually quite short. In all of this other paintings in Belfast he is pictured on his horse so he is much taller.





We passed some amazing views of the Northern Irish coast, although I wish that it had been sunnier. We went through small towns and a few other castles.






Sheep Island
Then we made it to our first real stop: Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge. There is a half mile walk from the parking lot to the bridge with amazing views. When I saw the bridge that I would have to cross twice, I started freaking out. It was quite windy so the bridge was swaying a bit. I was shaking before I stepped on the bridge, while I was on the bridge, and after I made it to the other side. Then I realized that I would have to cross back!!










About to go on the bridge!

Our group crossing the bridge!







My friend Anna and I!

Right by the parking lot for the bridge is one of the filming locations for Game of Thrones. It is where Renly Baratheon's camp is in the second season. The first photo is the shot from Game of Thrones and the second one is my photo.

http://www.titancon.com/images/photos/renlys_camp.jpg
So the location is right around the wall on the right!
The next stop on our tour of the Antim Coast was Giant's Causeway. We had lunch at the Nook, which is right next to the tourism center for Giant's Causeway. Apparently you have to pay to get into the official gift shop and tourism center, but close to it is the Causeway Hotel where there is a gift shop. 











Briggitte, Sam and I were the "trifecta" roommates on the trip!






I had an amazing time in Northern Ireland and I learned so much. I would love to go back to Belfast, Derry-Londonderry, and visit the places that we were not able to go to. Since we went on the trip, our class has been compiling the research, collecting data from surveys, and making a video showing our trip/research. Now I am off to see the cherry blossoms!

Thanks so much reading!
Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment