Sunday, June 14, 2015

Shopping and Dinner in the North End!

Hello everyone! I know that it has been a while but I want to get back into the blogging groove. I'm so happy that Summer is here and that the sun is shining (on most days). Living in Massachusetts has been good, although I miss my friends from Florida and D.C.. Two weekends ago Mom, Dad and I went into Boston for some shopping (well the shopping was for Mom and I) and eat at one of my favorite Italian restaurants in the North End.

Once we got into Boston, we wandered through an arts market just as it was about to end. I wish we had gotten there sooner, but we still had the chance to look at some beautiful jewelry.




Me helping Dad with geocaching
We also bought some amazing smelling candles from a Boston-based business called Fifth & Madison. We got three candles: Molokai (Sea Salt, Gardenia, and White Musk) for Mom, Cosmopolitan (Pomegranate and Grapefruit) for Emma, and Spa Water (Rosemary and Eucalyptus) for me. They are nice and light summer scents!



While Dad waited in Quincy Market, Mom and I perused through Ann Taylor Loft where I got two shirts and a pair of sunglasses. We then walked down to the North End to go through the store Lit where I got a cute dress. 

We had dinner at a new restaurant on Hanover St called Parla. I ate here last summer with Mom, which you can read about here. Now this is not your typical Italian restaurant with spaghetti and meatballs or pizza. They change their menu on a regular basis, so you can always try something new. We got beef carpaccio and grilled polenta to start. Both were yummy, but I liked the polenta more because beef carpaccio is not really my thing.







For the main course Mom had the roasted duck breast with carrots and sweet potato purée. She loved it and let everyone have a try. I love duck and I would definitely get that again.


Dad got the most interesting dish: a ramen "carbonara." Just like it sounds, it was a mix between ramen soup with spaghetti carbonara. He really liked it and it showcased how different Parla is from the other restaurants in the North End.


I ate the seafood pasta dish with haddock, scallops, shrimp, mussels and clams. While it was not the most adventurous thing on the menu nor my favorite seafood pasta, it was still pretty yummy. I'm not a huge fan of haddock but the rest of the seafood was perfectly cooked and sauce was delicious.


We had to get Mike's Pastries for desserts just because. I've never had Modern Pastry, but I will always go to Mike's to get a chocolate chip cannoli. 


My parents and I had a great time going to Quincy Market and the North End. They are two of my favorite places to go in Boston and I have fond memories of them both. Since we live here, however, I cannot wait to explore new areas of Boston and try other restaurants. Any suggestions?

See you next time,
Kara


No comments:

Post a Comment