Tuesday, June 10, 2014

June Book Haul


So in my last post (you can read it HERE) I talked about the used book sale at the Concord Public Library that was amazing! And I wanted share with you what books I purchased there and at a bookshop in town.

The first book that I purchased was a nonfiction book called The Diary of a Soviet Schoolgirl: 1932-1937 by Nina Lugovskaya. It sounds really interesting and I want to learn more about the Soviet Union, so this looks like a neat way to learn about it. The version that I got is the abridged version, so I might want to get the unabridged version if I like this book.


About a Boy, by Nick Hornby, is a book that I have been meaning to read for a while. I want to read this before I see the film starring Hugh Grant and Toni Colette. It is only one of two fiction books that I bought.


The third book is American Chica: Two Worlds, One Childhood by Marie Arana. Again, this sounded interesting and I currently like to read books about different cultures, to broaden my understanding of the world.


I have just finished reading the book Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo for the Nerfighteria book club. I loved it and gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I also am fascinated by Indian culture. So when I saw India Becoming: A Portrait of Life in Modern India by Akash Kapur, I had to get it. The cover is beautiful and I can’t wait to read it.


The fourth book is the second novel and it is also about India. Back in junior year I won the Mount Holyoke high school book award and I received Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Namesake. I read it and immediately loved it. I then bought and read The Interpreter of Maladies, which is a series of short stories written by her. Again, I loved them. The Lowland is her latest book and I was so excited to see it at the book sale. I am positive that I will read it quickly and love it.


The next two books are cookbooks that I bought at two different shops in downtown Concord. The first one is a cookbook that I might own, but I cannot find. It is called Teen Cooks and it is by Megan and Jill Carle, two sisters. The recipes are easy and yummy, and I will definitely take this book to college.


I love Trader Joe’s. It is no secret, and this cookbook, The I Love Trader Joe’s College Cookbook by Andrea Lynn, seems perfect to me. I have tried two of the recipes (tortilla soup and curried Israeli couscous with apples) and they were both delicious. Again, they are fast, easy, and they taste great. I cannot wait to try more of them at home and at college.


Those are all the books that I bought this past weekend! Have you read any of them? If you have, let me know what you think of them. I also have a Goodreads account where you can see what I’m reading, what I’ve read and what I think of the books that I have read. Please friend me if you have an account! Thanks for reading and I’ll see you later this week with another blog post.


Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment