Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Lobster Roll Recipe


I’m going to do something different today. Instead of a post about my day, I’m going to do a recipe post. Dad is the one that cooks the most at home and has instilled the love of cooking in me. I collect cookbooks, watch Food Network, and pour over cooking videos online (Sorted food is the best). Since we are in Massachusetts, I had to make lobster rolls for our picnic last Friday night. As a disclaimer, this recipe is not exact in any way and just depends on what you like in your lobster rolls. This makes about three sandwiches.

Since the kitchen in the apartment is not that big, we did not want to attempt to cook three lobsters. We took the easy route and bought three whole cooked lobsters from Stop & Shop. Dad broke them down, as I am bad at that and then I made the filling.

First I washed and chopped three or four stalks of celery. I personally like a lot of crunch in these types of salads, so I tend to add a bit more than one stalk per sandwich. I then took a few sprigs of tarragon, took the leaves off and roughly chopped those leaves.


Next I mixed the lobster, celery and tarragon together in a medium sized bowl.


Once that was mixed, I squirted some mayo over the top and then stir it in. I just put enough to bind the salad together because I’ve had lobster rolls in the past that are sopping with the amount of mayo and it overpowers the taste of the lobster. What’s the point of the lobster roll if you can’t taste the lobster?



And voilà! It is finished. Now of course you can add other ingredients like onions, green onions, chives or anything else. Above all, however, you don’t want to overpower the lobster. We ate the lobster salad on an untraditional roll, whole-wheat pita bread. I know, I know, it should be on hot dog roll. But we wanted to try something different.


At the picnic we also had a watermelon-feta-mint salad (which I could do a post on), a store-bought pasta salad, olives, popcorn and macarons from Trader Joe’s for dessert.


It was a lot of fun and we played Apples to Apples, played on the playground and enjoyed the food. We hope to do another picnic later this week. What is your favorite thing to eat at picnics?




Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment